Monday, December 2, 2013

To-Do List


Is this time of year as busy for you as it is for me? Combine work and family with the holidays and end of the year activities, and December always seems to be a pretty hectic time for me.

Here are SOME of the things on my to-do list this month:

1.  Celebrate the release of my 50th book!  YULETIDE PROTECTOR is not only the thrilling conclusion to my Precinct: Task Force miniseries, but it's my 50th book overall.  I'm spending some time promoting and celebrating its release.  And, I'm thrilled to share that the book is going to be reviewed in LIBRARY JOURNAL this month.  So if you're a library supporter, please check it out.  And if you'd like to read an excerpt from the book, go to http://www.juliemiller.org/contests_&_fun.htm


RT BookReviews Top Pick!


2.  Many people do crafts or train for triathlons or do other things for hobbies. One of my favorite hobbies is working in our local community theater.  I've acted, directed, done makeup and costumes, worked on the backstage crew, played in the pit and more. This month, the Miller family is having a lot of fun with the play YOU'RE A GOOD MAN, CHARLIE BROWN.  Hubby is directing, son is playing Linus, and I'm Frieda, with the naturally curly hair (hmm... wonder how I got that part ;) The play goes up next week, so we've been busy rehearsing. Great music, good friends, lots of fun.


3.  Another thing hubby and I like to do is sing.  Our local community choir, City Singers, is having two holiday concerts this upcoming weekend.  Plus, we've shared the holiday spirit by caroling downtown after
Thanksgiving, and at a local grocery store, nursing homes and our local historical center, the Stuhr Museum.

4.  Decorate the house.  Hubby has got the outside done.  I'm in charge inside, which means...

5.  Clean the house.  Especially since my mother is joining us from Missouri for Christmas.  I don't know if my home will ever be perfectly spic 'n span, but I do like things neat and tidy before we add trees and ornaments and gifts.

6.  Write. Yes.  Amidst all this chaos, I'm still working.  It's the writer's life.  And I'm loving it.  Currently, I'm working on a holiday story (it doesn't often happen that one gets to write a story during the season when it actually takes place, so it's easy to get into the snowy, cold mood of the story--although, I certainly don't have chase scenes and murdered cops and a kidnapping on my holiday to-do list!)

7.  Plan my workshop for a conference where I'll be speaking in January.  (Omaha, Nebraska--Jan. 10-12) Oddly enough, it's called "Writing Amidst the Chaos"  Hmm...

8.  I invite all my readers and friends to join me for a couple of Intrigue events this month.  First, on Monday, Dec. 9, the Intrigue authors and I are holding an Intrigue event on our Facebook page.  There'll be authors to chat with, prizes to win and more.  You can find us at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harlequin-Intrigue

9. On Tuesday, Dec. 10, it's Intrigue Day at www.community.harlequin.com  There'll be a dedicated Intrigue discussion with several authors coming and going throughout the day and evening, plus lots of prizes to give away (including a complete 6-book set of my Precinct: Task Force miniseries!).  It's Open House week all week at Harlequin.com, featuring special events in all the lines.  If you haven't checked out the Harlequin community yet, please do.  It's easy and free to login and join, and you can mingle with authors, aspiring writers, publishing professionals and readers there.
Harlequin Enterprises 2013

10. Wish everyone a Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Good Kwanzaa, pleasant December and a Happy New Year!  And getting back to work on my to-do list...

So what's on your to-do list this time of year?  Share what's keeping you busy and we can root each other on with good thoughts of energy, patience and super time-management skills.  Tomorrow, I'll give away a
copy of YULETIDE PROTECTOR to one lucky poster.

Happy Holidays!
Julie Miller

23 comments:

  1. I am reading Yuletide Protector, attending a play :) attending three Christmas programs, and spending time with my family. I may even get around to cleaning house and putting up a tree! Mostly I am celebrating our Lord's Birth and thankful for being cancer free this year!!

    This is my third try at leaving a comment! the other two were from my iPad so forgive me if they all show up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only see the one, Lilsis! And what a coincidence...I'm involved with a play ;)

      I'm so happy you can celebrate being cancer free!! That's a real Christmas gift. Take care. (and thanks for reading my book!!)

      Delete
  2. my to do list isn't very big,,,, but finishing Yuletide is right in there with decorating the outside tree, putting up the inside tree, and figuring out how to get rid of the car that wont pass insepection and getting around to apps!!! Wish me luck there with it being upstate cold new york ! Jenny might have to mail me some books when they r out in stores for me . I know she won't mind helping my tbr pile get even bigger!! happy writting!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pam! Hope you enjoy the book!

      And good luck with the car! This isn't the time of year to be having car issues (I know because last year my car died completely on the way down to Missouri to get my mom for Christmas). Of course, it's never a good time for cars to stop cooperating with us!

      Delete
  3. Your list sounds so exciting Julie...but also very exhausting. Of course, liking what your doing helps a lot.
    A few things on my list iare:
    1. attending my youngest grandsons school band Christmas program....he is a drummer.
    2. attending and cooking for a lunch fellowship for our church deaf group and that evening attending an all church fellowship...so much good food and fellowship.
    3. attending and cooking for a family gathering the Sunday before Christmas.
    4. shopping for presents...I have not even started yet...so far behind...smile.
    5. finishing the crochet blankets I've been working for for Christmas presents.
    6. reading all the great books coming out this month.
    As with you, I'm enjoying each and every one but it can be exhausting. Congrats on your book. I enjoyed every minute of reading it and couldn't put it down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Brenda! (I appreciate your review, too!)

      I'm with you on #4. It's on my list. But I'm guessing I won't get started until the play is done. (other than a few goodies I've picked up over the year on my travels) That's about the latest I've waited to start shopping. :0

      Delete
  4. My to do list...
    clean up
    started to decorate
    planning on some baking
    finish my shopping
    send out my cards
    wrap the presents
    squeeze in some reading
    etc...
    I just read Yuletide Protector last night... loved it... will try to write a review soon.
    Happy Holidays Julie! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Colleen--thank you so much!! (And honest reviews are always appreciated)

      I'm hoping the week of Christmas/New Year's that I can do a bit of binge reading. I'm trying to get far enough ahead on my writing schedule that I can take that time off to relax with my family, have fun and read!

      Delete
  5. I have been waiting so long for Yuletide Protector! I downloaded it on my kindle yesterday at around ten in the morning, sat on my couch all day, and finished the entire book at seven at night. Great book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely compliment, Heather! Hope I didn't take you away from something important--but that's always the coolest compliment to hear a reader really got caught up in one of my books!

      Delete
  6. Laura AKA Loves 2 Read RomanceDecember 2, 2013 at 4:20 PM

    Congrats again on the 50th book! I finished reading Yuletide Protector last week and loved it. So my to do list is pretty small:

    Put up the tree (and see if the kitten is going to make her goal of the month how many times can she knock it down.)

    Chuch Choir concert in about two weeks

    Finish Christmas Shopping

    Christmas Baking

    Reading in between everything else.

    Hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving. I will see everyone at the above parties Julie mentioned for next week!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with the kitty, Laura. ;)

      And yes, hope I see all of you on Facebook and/or Harlequin.com next week! They should be fun!

      Delete
  7. You know I always have plenty of to-do lists popping up that the one for Christmas time doesn't feel any different. But here goes...

    - Buy a Christmas tree then decorate it
    - Put up Christmas lights on our front porch
    - Gift shopping...then wrap'em up all pretty!
    - Get pictures printed then continue scrapbooking :D (it's been years since I worked on them...)
    - I'm learning to knit, so would like to work on making some things...my first project was baby booties...i only just figured that out now have to perfect it
    - Reading...as usual :)
    - Catching up on movies I missed
    - Clean Up

    That's for now...I have no doubt in my mind that list will get longer haha...

    Happy Holidays!

    Cheers,

    Daya G

    ReplyDelete
  8. There are some movies I want to go see this month, like CATCHING FIRE and THE HOBBITT. Hopefully, we can make family outings out of them this month.

    That's cool that you've taken up knitting. I have more and more friends who are getting into it--and making some lovely things. I learned when I was in middle school--a neighbor taught me. But I never did anything more than knit a scarf... and that wasn't anything complicated. Maybe one day...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm stocking up the pantry & freezer with food for Christmas. It does not do to wait until the last minute.

    I've also been busy with my craft work, which I sell. I knit, sew, embroider & crochet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always admire crafters, Mary. I used to sew a lot. Someday, I want to get back to that.

      And good reminder--I need to add planning some holiday menus and grocery shopping to my list!

      Delete
  10. Jennifer Lorenz Mewes I tried commenting on the blog but I give up . "Traveling… actually headed to grand island to see you're a good Man Charlie Brown! I can't wait to see this one in action again!! Otherwise, just enjoying the holiday season!!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm... don't know why some folks have trouble posting--or do on some days but not others. Ah, the vagaries of cyberspace. I'll put your name in the pot for Maggie to draw from later today. Hope to see you at Charlie Brown!

      Delete
  11. And the winner is... Jennifer Lorenz Mewes!

    Since so many of you already have YULETIDE PROTECTOR (thank you!!), there were only a few names for Maggie to choose from, and her paw touched Jennifer's first. So, congratulations, Jennifer! If you send me an email (here or on Facebook) with your snail mail addy, I'll get a copy of the book in the mail to you ASAP. Or, if you prefer an ecopy, let me know if you're a Kindle or NOOK reader, and I'll gift you with an e version of YULETIDE PROTECTOR.

    Thanks to everyone for stopping by! And good luck getting everything done on your to-do lists!

    Happy Holidays!
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations on your 50th book, Julie! What a wonderful Golden Anniversary to have.

    ReplyDelete