Wednesday, December 4, 2013

What's your Favorite Holiday Song?

THIS MONTH WE ASKED INTRIGUE AUTHORS
what song was their favorite holiday song and share the YouTube versions.

THE MARINE'S LAST DEFENSE, January 2014
I have two absolutely favorite songs to listen to at Christmas (but I love Christmas music…traditional and modern). The first is Linus & Lucy from A Charlie Brown Christmas: 
AND I adore the Christmas Can Can by Straight No Chaser:
Linus & Lucy reminds me of childhood…the anticipation of seeing the Charlie Brown specials (no VCR, DVDs, YouTube, etc….). And my sister-in-law introduced me to Straight No Chaser. They are amazing. But the Christmas Can Can reminds me to celebrate and laugh. I also admire the success of these young men. Their story is amazing. To all my friends…Merry Christmas, Happy Kwanza and Happy Hanukkah!
HOMESPUN  CHRISTMAS, November 2013
I absolutely love Il Volo. These men have the most dynamic voices. We all have books that are special to us. Homespun Christmas is the perfect feel good story, as one Amazon reviewer said.
My grandmother taught me all about knitting and crocheting and it led to a lifelong passion. I've won first, second and third places at our New Mexico State Fair with my pieces, and one day my love for homespun gifts sparked the idea that became Homespun Christmas!
Homespun Christmas is a story about the will to succeed - even when the odds are against you. It's a book about working class Americans, the unsung heroes who make a real difference though you won't find them headlining the news. Here's a Christmas medley with wonderful images on YouTube:  
DUET IN CRIMSON December 2013
"Carol of the Bells" is a popular Christmas carol, composed by Mykola Leontovych with lyrics by Peter J. Wilhousky. The song is based on a folk chant known in Ukrainian as "Shchedryk."
I never knew this was something from my Ukranian heritage, but I always loved the strength of the music and the way it made me feel. I've been known to play it over and over and over... I picked a YouTube version I haven't heard/seen before but love and hope you will, too. 
HUNTED, Harlequin MIRA, January 2014
My favorite holiday music is probably Silent Night simply because it's beautiful.  I love to sing along to holiday music, and I particularly enjoy when there are strings in the background, probably because I used to play violin.
My debut suspense, HUNTED, from Harlequin MIRA, releases right around the holidays, on Dec. 31, 2013.  You can visit me on the web.
YULETIDE PROTECTOR, December 2013
An RT Book Reviews Top Pick!
It's not Christmas for me until I watch WHITE CHRISTMAS and hear Bing Crosby sing the title song.  Although I love the spectacle of the finale scene where they sing it again with a big chorus, set and costumes, this plain, straightforward version is my favorite.  I like Bing Crosby's rendition in HOLIDAY INN, too--another holiday movie I'd highly recommend, even though it doesn't get the press of the 1956 movie.  I like this slightly melancholy, definitely hopeful version because it's Bing Crosby at his best.  He's one of those rare people whose singing feels effortless.  The song reminds me of family, too.  My mom and I watch it on DVD every year.  And, it's one of the few musicals my dad watched and enjoyed--probably because of the military storyline.  Now we've got the next generation of nieces/nephews and my son watching it with us.  WHITE CHRISTMAS is a relaxing holiday tradition at my house.
Rocky Mountain Revenge, February 2014
My favorite holiday music are hymns and carols. I've sung in choirs since I was old enough to stand up, so Christmas is always full of music for me. One of my favorites -- because it was my mother's favorite and it reminds me of her -- is "What Child Is This?" 
HAPPY HOLIDAYS
from ALL the HEARTS of the INTRIGUE AUTHORS

18 comments:

  1. Straight No Chaser is a great A Capella group with fun songs. Some of my favorite carols are Silver Bells, Hard Candy Christmas, Mr Heat Miser, and Cabbage Patch Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure I'm familiar with MR HEAT MISER...going to have to look that one up.
      ~Angi

      Delete
    2. Okay, the only one I heard of is Silver Bells. Hmm, I think I'll look them up, too...

      Delete
  2. Thank you all for sharing. Love Christmas songs! I think that White Christmas is my all time favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura AKA Loves 2 Read RomanceDecember 4, 2013 at 4:31 PM

    I love Christmas music and since I am in my church choir I have been listening to Christmas music off and on since late August. It is hard to choose a favorite Christmas song but I love White Christmas by Bing Crosby. I also enjoy all the classic hymns that we sing in church this time of year. However I have a hard time with Silent Night. See when I was little we would call up my Grandmother and Great-Grandmother and sing Silent Night in German. I discovered as a teen that I end up in singing in German if I don't have the words in front of me. Even then I have a little difficulty and notice a German accent creeps in while I am singing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WC by Bing -- yes! Funny, but reading the above I immediately remembered Stille Nacht, heilige Nacht... and don't remember where I learned it in German. I took German in hs & college, so I assume in hs, but I'm not sure.

      Delete
    2. Very cool, Laura!
      I miss singing church musicals, especially at this time of year.
      ~Angi

      Delete
  4. My all time fav is Good King Wenceslas sung by Loreena McKennitt!
    Great choices above! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hum, another I'll have to go look up. Nice that you can find any of these on YouTube :)

      Delete
    2. I'll be looking this one up too.
      ~Angi

      Delete
  5. For fun I like the Twelve Pains at Christmas by Bob Rivers. Also, the Mr Heat Miser Song is from The Year Without a Santa Claus. There is The Snow Miser Song and The Heat Miser Song.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the 2 Miser brothers and their songs in THE YEAR WITHOUT A SANTA CLAUS. It's one of those Christmas specials I'll sit down and watch when I catch it on TV. Reminds me of childhood. A lot of fun!

      Delete
  6. Music is very important in my home--we're all singers and musicians. So it was hard for me to narrow it down to one, but Bing and WHITE CHRISTMAS made me think of home and family, so I chose it.

    But for hymns of the season, one I listen to over and over again is "O Holy Night" by Sandy Patti with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir singing backup--it's so dramatic and inspiring. In church, I love to sing "Angels We Have Heard on High" because of love singing the counter-melody on the Alleluia chorus. I love making and hearing that joyful noise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOVE IT !!!!
      I need some Christmas by Miss Patti. Thanks for that reminder, Julie.

      Delete
  7. Angi--I love yours! We're doing YOU'RE A GOOD MAN, CHARLIE BROWN for the Christmas show at our community theater. So I'm hearing the Linus & Lucy theme a lot. In fact, my son is playing Linus! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did that musical in High School !
      SO MUCH FUN !!!
      I hope you get lots of pictures and post some here, Julie!

      Delete