Thursday, December 25, 2008

Dana Marton-- Warning: Reading can be hazardous to your health!


Hope everyone is having a fantastic holiday! My favorite gift this year is a book: READING WOMEN. Wonderful pictures and thought-provoking commentary. It starts in history when women were first forbidden then discouraged from reading. Here are some of my favorite quotes...


Johann Adam Bergk in 1799 said that reading caused a "senseless extravagance, insurmountable reluctance to undertake any effort, boundless love of luxury, supression of the voice of conscience, becoming tired of life, and an early death..." ---Yikes!-----


Better yet is (teacher) Karl G. Bauer who wrote in 1791 that reading leads to "slackness, mucous congestion, flatulence, and constipation of the inner organs, which, as is well known, particularly in the female sex, actually affects the sexual parts..."


Don't say you weren't warned. LOL.


Apparently, when reading first became very popular in Paris, men and women often walking around with a book in their pockets, the moral authority thought it a psychological disorder and called it "reading mania."


I used to think how nice it must have been to live in a different time in history with a slower pace of life and all that. I take it all back. I could live without my electric appliances, but I'd be very grumpy without my books.


Hope you all got some fabulous books for Christmas!


Happy Holidays again,

Dana

4 comments:

  1. I did get some fabulous books for Christmas and a gift card to buy mor fabulous books. You just can't beat that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I could live without books or electric appliances. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My wish for all; that they always be able to get the book that they want! Merry Christmas everyone!

    ReplyDelete