Sunday, February 8, 2009

You know what they say about families



A friend of mine recently did that Twenty-five Things You Don't Know About Me list that is going around on Facebook.

One of his struck a chord with me: # 11 People don't believe me when I tell stories about my childhood -- until they meet my parents.

I had to laugh since my family gave new meaning to dysfunctional. But I'm sure that is why I like to write about families -- the good, the bad and the really whacked.

Some families I dream up just steal my heart, dysfunction, and all, and that is true of the Corbetts. They show up in fictional Whitehorse, Montana this spring (April, May, June, Sept. Oct.). Of course there are problems, murders, secrets, deceit and near-death experiences. But hey, it's about family!

Is it just writers who often come from families that have little resemblance to Beaver Cleaver's? How about readers? Do you like reading about families that have more problems than yours? Or do you like reading about families that you wish were yours?

With the Corbetts I'd say there is a little bit of both when these five brothers hit town this spring! In the meantime, you can download my Intrigue Crime Scene at Cardwell Ranch at HarlequinCelebrations.com as part of Harlequin's 60th anniversary. I'm delighted to be part of their celebration!

5 comments:

  1. In my family I was the "dysfunctional" one---I wanted to be a boy because they got to do really neat things like play baseball, dress in jeans, go to work with daddy (he was a geologist and would take my brother to oil wells that were being drilled but he couldn't take me because only guys were allowed). I like reading about families that are slightly dysfunctional. I'm looking forward to more Whitehorse, Montana stories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ellen, I was a tomboy too. So I know what you mean. My father was a contractor so I got use all his tools. He wanted me to be an architect. No talent. :) I was more into stories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every family has problems and dysfunctional characters. It is what makes life interesting and hard at times, but most of us learn from it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As my psychology spelling teacher said if we all were normal life would be really boring.

    So we all have problems within our families that what makes life so interesting. Misty is right though you learn from it and go on.

    Will the other characters from WhiteHorse turn up in these books BJ?

    I really enjoyed the other stories you did based in Whitehorse, Montana.

    patsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, Patsy, other Whitehorse characters will definitely be in the Corbett brothers books. A lot of loose ends will be tied up. About time, huh. :)
    Misty, I think you're right. Some of us learn from growing up in dysfunctional families. I wonder if I would write if it wasn't for my interesting family. :_

    ReplyDelete