Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Just Another Day... Right!

So last week, I had to take the pups to the vet. Booster shots. Three dogs, all who behaved extremely well. I drive a classic Jeep Cherokee--it's the kind you see in movies, the one the good guys are always escaping in, or chasing the bad guys. They're very good SUVs with great engines that last. I still see them everywhere on the road. In fact, we used to own two. The other saved our lives in an eight car pile-up.
ASIDE: if you've seen the movie TAKEN, Liam Neeson actually goes after the bad guy in a Jeep just like mine, only he's in France. I'm immediately taken out of the movie saying, "Really? An old Jeep in Paris? And he just happens to find one?"  LOL

Back to the story...

Our Jeep is 21 years old. We bought it used and a previous owner had replaced the ignition. Well, the dogs are loaded, I turn the key, but it won't turn. It's not the battery, alternator, or anything under the hood. Yep, it's the ignition New steering column needed. I'm stuck. Three dogs on a humid day. The hubby has to come pick us up, but he's an hour away.

Make lemonade, right? It's cloudy, there's a field, I have a blanket, I have great, calm dogs. I have a notepad...I have wifi on my phone.  BUT...  Ants. Everywhere.

So I pick up and head to the end of the road, to a grove of trees covering the dead-end, staying on the cement so the ants won't get us.  See the cars way over in the top right-hand corner of the photo (below) ....I'm parked waaaaayyyyy over off the picture. LOL  Arms full, three leashes.


I spread the blanket, sit down, open my notepad, dogs are content to lay on each corner. Plop. Plop. Plop. Plop. Rain.





Just enough sprinkle to keep us cool. But I can't write. Can't use my phone. Put everything into my waerproof purse. fold the corners of the blanket into the middle. Dogs can't sit still.


SO WE WALK.
The little grove of trees at the edge of the field had a gravel walk path around it. Grapevines galore. Very pretty. We walked in the sprinkling rain. We actually got a good workout. Stopped raining--we'd sit. Start sprinkling--we'd walk. Three hours later...we were finally headed home.

Finding the steering column is another story, for another day.

Love my dogs.I actually enjoyed being STRANDED. LOL
Care to share a story?
Leave a comment and I'll keep your name for the next drawing I'll have in two weeks.

~Angi
Dangerous Memories, February 2013
Protecting Their Child, May 2013




14 comments:

  1. When my husband and I were first married, we use to rent a cabin for the weekend near the lake. You would think that my favorite memories were fishing, or wading, or some other activity but the two things I remember most are sitting out on the screened in front porch of the cabin and listening to the rain fall through the dozens of trees that surrounded us and going to the small Pow Wow under a clear moonlit night with a trillion stars looking down on us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the rain... where I live now, I do not get to see it that often. I remember one time when I was younger, there was a nice sprinkle going on and my friend and I walked all around for hours just walking and talking in the rain. It was such a great day, no storms just a perfect rainy spring day and wonderful conversation with a friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actuaqlly enjoyed my rainy afternoon with the dogs. It reminded me of times I wasn't in a hurry to get something else done. Or feeling guilty about not getting something checked off my list. We all just need to take more time for ourselves, don't we?

      ~Angi

      Delete
  3. Loves 2 Read Romance - LauraAugust 21, 2012 at 7:23 PM

    I don't mind listening to the rain. In fact sometimes a storm outside makes the book in your hand or movie on tv even better.

    So my rain memory. I remember my freshman year of band camp we came back after dinner for practice. We were all lined up outside and it starts to pour. We all run our stuff inside and then run right back out and get in line again. The guys instructing us said we were the first band they taught that understood that we wouldn't melt in the rain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great memory. The memories I have of camping as a kid -- always raining.
      :-)
      ~Angi

      Delete
  4. That sounds like it was a fun walk. Thanks for sharing.

    bn100candg(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I Love A Rainy Night...or day. When I was growing up my best friend and I used to walk back and forth between our houses, rain, shine or whatever, and we were a couple of miles apart.
    The area in and around the city park would fill with water and we would splash and wade through it. Love the memories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to find a dry spot outside, or cover up with an umbrella to go write. Of course, that was way back on a stone tablet...before portable music. LOL

      ~Angi

      Delete
  6. Great story, Angi. I was A Fool in the Rain with my best friend in high school trying to find our basketball team in a parking lot while it poured rain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a tremendous downpour. AND fun.
      ~Angi

      Delete
  7. Back in '99, we were driving to attend my GF's 40th birthday party, 5 hours from our home. None of us really wanted to go, but she's been my friend since Kindergarten. Fine. We went.
    The best part of the whole weekend was the drive there: traffic was detoured in the Toronto area with bumper-to-bumper slow-moving traffic. We had a CB Radio in the car, so we listened to the truckers and their opinions on how best to get through the mess. One trucker commented that he couldn't believe it, but there was a car that just passed him in the grassy ditch! Not five seconds later, a car passed US in the grassy ditch, so we couldn't believe the trucker was that close to us! Further down the road, we watched this girl driving a golf cart quickly down the shoulder of the road. She got to a truck parked on that shoulder, and the next thing we saw was her peeing behind the open passenger door! Oh! We stopped at a local fast-food place to freshen up before the party and met the birthday girl's parents and brother/wife in the washroom - out of all the fast-food places along that road. Wonders never cease!
    We all had a better time on the way there than we did at the actual party, but don't tell my girlfriend that, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I watched the movie TAKEN not that long ago. I will not be able to watch it without thinking of you now and your adventure.

    marypres(AT)gmail(DOT)com

    ReplyDelete