Thursday, January 29, 2009

PLAYING PRETEND IN REAL LIFE

If any of you have read many of my blogs in the past, you’re familiar with how much I enjoy research. To me, it's a chance to experience a little bit about the lives other people live and the careers in which they work. Kind of like playing pretend in real life, if you will. ;) The specific detail and fresh way of looking at things that come from real life research provides grist for the imagination mill and enables a fiction writer to draw readers in to their characters’ world.

The photo to the left is from one of my experiences in my local fire department citizen's academy. I'm prying apart a car using a giant spreading tool. You know, the jaws of life. Let me tell you, that sucker was heavy!

Although most writers I know believe in researching the books they write, all writers don’t feel the same way. Here’s a humorous look at a writer who doesn’t believe in research in a fabulous old radio bit from comedians Bob and Ray.

Oops! The audio clip won't upload. Wouldn't you know. If you want to hear it, you'll have to go here. It's a political blog, but the audio clip itself isn't political. It is, however, pretty amusing.

After all my trouble with the audio clip, I almost forgot to ask my question. If you could choose one career to live for a day, what would it be?

***Just to let you know, eHarlequin is doing a big ebook giveaway today to celebrate their 60th anniversary. Free ebooks. Really. Click here to check it out. They're going to be having a lot of special events this year, so you might want to keep an eye on eHarlequin. And we'll try to pass the news along to you here, too. Happy reading!

21 comments:

  1. Forensic Scientist! Think Abby on NCIS. I want that job. LOL. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What great choices, Mel and Misty! I could call you up for research on my books. LOL.

    I actually do have a CSI technician who answers my questions. He was curious to know what it was like to be a novelist.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good one, Estella. I love all these Intriguing careers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I have no idea where my comment went but here it is again (if this time works)....A physical therapist at a children's hospital. That is what I wanted to be but didn't have the money to go to school that long. Instead I became a high school teacher for 35 years and enjoyed the whole time (for the most part).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. That sounds like a marvelous choice, Ellen!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would like to be a writer, to have the talent and the imagination for one day; that would be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love to be a pilot for a day and see the view from the cockpit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. wstridgerunner, all you have to do to be a writer is write Go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That sounds fun, Jane. Can I be your co-pilot?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Call me up anytime. :) I'll help. I'm actally a Medical Lab Tech, but I stay at home with the kids. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. So this isn't just a fantasy job, Missy. You know of the job you seek (for one day).

    ReplyDelete
  12. Running a spa somewhere exotic sounds delicious, Beth. I don't know that this career actually exists, but how about a professional spa reviewer?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would love to be a millionaire and give away millions to people who need it. I would love to be able to study them and how they used the money....

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well my job wouldn't be exactly like Abby's. I would be helping people who are sick, instead of catching a killer/s. Yes, I'm a lab geek. Would love to do Abby's job. Just not sure that will ever happen. I have lots of kids and they tend to need me. HAHAHA!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great, Connie. Sounds like an idea for reality TV. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gotta love lab geeks, Misty. And yes, those kids can be needy, can't they? ;) I only have two, and that's about all I can handle!

    ReplyDelete
  17. LOL. I have a total of 6. 5 are here all the time. Figure its not meant for me to be an Abby right now. Kids come first. :D Gotta love them. All of them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ann
    Let's see for me it would have to be having access to all the data bases and being able to access them for Genealogy Research for myself and other people.
    Helping people break down those brick walls in there family research.

    This one would be fantsy for me would be finding myself in one of the intrigue books and having the hero save me.

    patsy

    ReplyDelete