Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Jan. Intrigues Hit the Shelves TODAY



My Jan. Intrigue, BRANDED BY THE SHERIFF, officially hits shelves today. YAY!!! Yes, it's been available at eharlequin for over a month now, but I still get a rush when I walk into Walmart or a bookstore and see one of my books there. I honestly don't think that'll ever get old.

BRANDED is a Romeo and Juliet sort of story (with a happy ending, of course). The hero, Beck Tanner, has been at odds with the heroine, Faith, and her family for nearly a decade, and it doesn't please either family when Beck and Faith fall hard for each other. I've wanted to write this type of story for a while, and once Beck popped into my head, I knew this would finally be my star-crossed lovers plot.

What about you--do you have a favorite type of tried and true plot? Beauty and the Beast, Cinderella (rags to riches), Friends to Lovers, Forbidden Love, Stranded, Masquerade, Bad Boy....? What type of plot will you always grab off the shelves?

Delores

13 comments:

  1. The "grabber" that gets me to pick up a book are usually words instead of plots, such as artifact, archeology, museum, ghost, curse, librarian,P.I.,Detective,cowboy, ect. If the blurb has a well defined villian in it I usually get it as well. Can I ask a question Delores? Why does all the shirtless men on Intrigue covers don't have any hair? I mean, instead of imagining a story about whatever they are representing (like cowboy, fireman, whatever), I picture them in a spa getting waxed instead of the story? I mean it's hard to imagine, say a cowboy fighting the forces of evil when you know they went to a spa to get a chest was first.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I honestly don't know why no chest hair, but I agree--it should be there. LOL. I remember years ago my Dorchester editor asked if I preferred hairy chests on covers, and I said YES but I still got a clean waxed guy on the sover. Hey, I would even settle for a sprinkling. I'm going to ask my Intrigue editor about this. Hmmm. Maybe I need to start a petition of something. Ha!

    We have some grabber words in common--cowboy, archelogy, detective. The archelogy ones are hard to find as well. :(

    Delores

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't really have any grabber words. I'm more of a plot grabber and with Intrigues almost any plot will get me to grab one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Delores:
    I like stranded hero/heroine stories..compressed timelines. That built in ticking time bomb kind of story. Makes the circumstances and the relationship more intense. Seems to raise the stakes for me as reader and as a writer..it keeps me moving forward with the story!

    Wstridgerunner:
    Excellent point about the chest wax and heroes. They don't really go together do they? : )

    Kay Thomas
    www.KayThomas.net
    Better Than Bulletproof ~ in stores now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoy the friends to lovers plot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love revenge and Beauty and the Beast stories.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beth, I love secret baby stories too. I always grab them. :)

    Ellen, bless you!!! That's exactly what an author wants to hear!

    Delores

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kay, I love a good ticking bomb story too!

    Estella, I know plenty of readers who love the friends to lovers stories, but they're hard to find. Or maybe they're just hard to find in Intrigue????

    Delores

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jane--yes, revenge! That usually makes for a great read, and there's something that always grabs me about a Beauty and the Beast story. Maybe that's because Beauty and the Beast is my favorite Disney movie, and I had to watch it several hundred times with my daughter. LOL!

    Delores

    ReplyDelete
  10. My grabber words are usually danger, intrique, mystery, lost heir, beauty on the run.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jill, lost heir, I'd forgotten that one, but I love stories like that!

    Delores

    ReplyDelete